Fall (especially Halloween) is definitely my favorite time of year!
Neil had to go to a conference in San Francisco in mid-October so I took the kids to Muscoot Farms for some pumpkin picking, the Farmer's Market and of course, the animals. It was a beautiful, sunny (hot!) day. We enjoyed lunch at the picnic tables!
The boys checked out the pigs.
Liam made friends with a cow.
We waited in a 45 minute line for a hayrack ride out to the pumpkin patch and ended up on the allergy free hayrack, which means no hay. I was so determined this year that they get to ride on this hayrack that we waited forever. The kids were so patient!
After picking the perfect (small) pumpkin, the boys and I rode back to the farm on the hayrack ride. Although there were multiple wagons with hay, once again, we made it on the hay-free hayrack. I'm sure there will be many hayrack rides (with hay) in our future but it was a little disappointing that we waited so long and didn't even get to experience the hay.
A few weeks later, we went pumpkin picking again because we needed a larger one that could be carved. This time we went to Hilltop Farms Nursery.
"What about these two pumpkins?"
"I found my pumpkin!"
"That's the one, Daddy!"
After the pumpkins, we took a walk through the corn maze.
Although Liam enjoyed picking out the pumpkin, when it came to carving it, he hid under the table. He kept saying it was, "Yucky."
Dylan, on the other hand, dug his hand right in and pulled out the stuffing.
When it comes to costumes, I prefer the homemade kind. I quickly rejected a few of Liam's ideas:
Little Hillbilly...
Mr. Candy Corn...
And, ultimately decided that pirates were a much better choice!
With a couple of pairs of tuxedo pants and collared shirts from the consignment store, a gold Mardi Gras necklace cut in half, cutouts from a pirate table cloth, a skull dew rag, some red felt sewn together, aluminum foil wrapped around cardboard, two gold hoop clip on earrings, two black eye patches and a few jagged cuts with the scissors, they turned out to be really cute little buccaneers! Uh, I mean, really tough pirates.
The costumes got a lot of use this year! The above photos are from our condo's Halloween Parade and Party. Dylan marched in the parade but Liam joined later for the party because he was on his way home from camping with Daddy (more about this in another post). Here's Dylan lined up with the neighborhood kiddos waiting for the parade to start:
Dylan wore his costume again at our Friday morning playgroup. I co-facilitate the group so we threw a Halloween party with lots of treats, stickers, glow sticks and costumes! Here's a shot of Pirate Dylan from behind:
The kids also wore the costumes again on Halloween for trick-or-treating in our neighborhood. They both loved it! Both boys went running right up to the door.
But, then Dylan just kept going. He went over their front step and right into the person's home. I guess most of the time when you go to someone's house, you go in! Here's our little pirate making himself at home:
Liam was delighted by all the candy! He ate one piece when we got home (he chose Twix) but never asked for another one and seemed to have forgotten all about it the next day.
Uncle Colin and Daddy had fun trick-or-treating, too!
A glimpse back at the kid's first Halloweens. At eight months old, Liam really loved his little stuffed Spongebob. I thought he would love to dress up as his favorite little character. As you can see, he hated every minute of this humiliating costume.
For Dylan's first Halloween, I made scarecrow costumes. They were adorable but left trails of their "straw" everywhere!
Hmmm, what will they dress up as next year? Wait a minute, by next year, I won't have a say in Liam's costume. He kept telling me he was going to be Batman this year (after I had purchased all the pirate gear) so I actually made the sword at the last minute specifically so he would think pirates were cool and would want to wear it. Oh well, at least Dylan's costume is still up to me!

No comments:
Post a Comment